Tuesday, July 22, 2014

DIY Glitter Mugs & Mason Jars Tutorial



Good morning!!  This weekend was super busy and we also have a new addition to the family! A new puppy, Shelby.  Her mama stopped nursing her so we saved her and officially have a newborn in the house! Late nights and bottle feedings have been consuming us and we love it even though we are missing out on some sleep :)

During times the puppy was down, I was able to pop out a few crafts and wanted to share.  This is a super simple yet beautiful craft that can also be a wonderful gift!

Here we go....DIY Glitter Mugs & Mason Jars Tutorial :)

First, let's get the supplies....



  • Mason Jars
  • Coffee Mugs
  • Glitter
  • Foam Brushes
  • Painters Tape
  • Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge


For the glitter, I strongly recommend Martha Stewarts Florentine glitter.  It is very very fine and adheres very well.  I used that for the glitter mugs (you can get an entire kit from Darby Smart HERE but remember to first sign up HERE and get $10 off your first order!!) and regular glitter for the mason jars.  I will only be hand washing the mason jars because of that.

I have a few "optional" items in here that can be used if you choose.  Like sharpies and stickers.  For the coffee mugs, if you do decide to use sharpies, that would be the first step.  You need to bake them in the oven so you don't want the glitter on if you do that.  Also, I recommend using oil based Sharpies and washing them by hand.  I had made one for my sister in law without using oil based but never heard if it washed off so I did some more testing on my own.  Make sure you are using a clean, dry mug.  So, after you doodle on them bake them in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and let them cool.  The stickers would be treated the same way as the tape, which I will show you below.

Here is the star of the show!!


Dishwasher safe Mod Podge! I am in heaven and am going to glitter everything :)

Okay, down to business. Here are my mugs and mason jars.



Again, make sure they are clean and dry.

If you are going to do designs on them, you can free hand or tape off the areas that you want. I think painters tape works best.




Make sure to get under and around all handles and lids.

Lay out some newspaper or coffee filters.  I like the coffee filters and only buy them for crafting as I can easily pour the fallen glitter back into the container to reuse.  Then take your foam brush and paint on a thin layer of mod podge.  Quickly sprinkle the glitter all over the wet areas, evenly.


Let dry upside down for 5 minutes.  Then apply a second coat of mod podge by dabbing the brush on the mug.  You don't want to wipe off or mess up the glitter you already applied as it will still be damp.  Sprinkle on a second coat of glitter.  If you want to add more coats, keep allowing to dry for 5 minutes in between each coat.  I then let them dry upside down overnight. Before you set them to dry overnight, make sure to remove the tape and/or stickers slowly and carefully so it does not mess up the glitter. Do not put them in the dishwasher for 28 days as they need time to cure.


Now you can get crazy with different types of designs or cover the entire mug or mason jar!




TA DA!!






I have another mason jar I am still deciding on how to decorate.  Plus I also want to do some more mugs for gifts this year but don't want to spoil the surprises here!!  These are perfect for an outdoor summer party or just to feel fancy with your coffee and tea in the morning :)

Have you ever made a craft like this before?

If you decide to, please share your pictures with us as we would love to see them!

Have a great day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips