Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Mary-Lou Manizer VS Hard Candy Tiki Dupe Review


Sorry it's been awhile guys!!I started a new job and have been crazy busy with so much stuff but I wanted to drop in because lately I have been doing a lot of research on dupes....you know, trying out the drugstore/cheaper alternatives to our name brand/pricey favs.  I myself often search the internet for these so I wanted you guys to be able to come to me.  At the end of this post or on my Facebook page, let me know if there are any specific dupes that you would like me to feature for you!!!

So here we go......



On the left, is Mary-Lou Manizer by the Balm and on the right is Tiki by Hard Candy.

Mary-Lou retails for $24.00 US and Tiki retails for $9.00 US.  Mary-Lou can be found at Kohls or online at the Balm (link is above) and Tiki can be found at Wal-Mart or online at Hard Candy.

I love highlighters, I love gold, shimmery ones that make me look dewy and like I just stepped off the beaches of Aruba.....at all times.  So when I did my research and was told that Tiki was the cheaper alternative to Mary-Lou, I was allllll over that.

Mary-Lou on right, Tiki on left (sorry its backwards)

Mary-Lou on left, Tiki on right
As you can see from the above swatches, there is a definite difference.  Both of them offer basically the perfect amount of shimmer.....I mean THAT is what a highlighter should be.  Shimmer not glitter. Glitter is rave appropriate not office appropriate.  Unless it's on your eyelids, that's a different story.

Mary-Lou is so smooth and buttery and when I use my Sonia Kashuk fan brush, it applies it perfectly in one swoop.  Tiki, however, requires either several, several applications or more like a buffing brush for application, plus it is essentially a matte finish.  Also, Mary-Lou will stay on all day, and Tiki gives up by my 3rd cup of coffee.

I might be inclined to think Tiki would look better on tan skin, what doesn't look better on tan skin for that matter, since you would be able to see it easier.

But all in all, Mary-Lou Manizer won this dupe test by a long shot.  I actually used my Birchbox points and got this for free.  I love it,  use it every single day and don't think I will ever be without it.

If golden highlighter is not your cup of tea, the Balm also has Cindy-Lou Manizer and Betty-Lou Manizer.  Cindy-Lou is a pink version and Betty-Lou is the bronzer version, the latter being the one I want when I am tan this summer :)

So there ya have it!! Have you used either one of these products before??  What are your thoughts?

Let us know in the comments below!!

Have a great day!! xo

2 comments:

  1. How and where do you apply a highlighter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apply highlighter on the highest points of my cheek bones, above my eye brows and down the center of my nose. I use a fan brush but you can use any brush as long as it's a fluffy one that distributes the product rather than deposit it all in one place on your face ;) xo

      Delete

 
Blogging tips