Wednesday, October 29, 2014

How to re-purpose your old candle jars!!

My Vanity

We all love makeup and candles so why not incorporate them??  I love crafting and want to show you an awesome idea to make use of those leftover candles that we pay SO much for!

First, when you are done with your candles, put them in the freezer.  I usually put them in there and forget about them so I would say at least put them in there for an hour.  That makes it so much easier to take the labels and the wax out.

Here is a video showing you just how easy the label will come off!


My hand in action

After the label is off, you want to get the leftover wax out.  The longer you leave it in the freezer, the more the wax will crack, making it easier to grab a butter knife and go to town on it.

This is a good crack

Nice and easy as to not crack the glass

Lift the wax out

Now, if you can get the little lit parts to come out with the wax, all the better as they will be a little harder to get out.  Having them come out in the wax eliminates you having to stab at them so in hindsight I should have made my own crack the other way.

I have one of those wax melter burner thingies so I keep the nice wax (none that have smoke on them) and reuse them in the burner!  Another way to save money and get the most out of these candles!

Almost done!

Now for that pesky label on the bottom.  Go as slow as you can, we aren't ripping a band aid off here :)

Slow and steady wins the race

But once it is off, we are not going to worry about any adhesive that is left anywhere on the candle. Now for the magic part!

Take equal parts vegetable oil and baking powder to make a paste.  Start out with two teaspoons of each depending on how much adhesive is left on your candle.  If the paste still appears runny, keep adding baking powder until it is a paste again.

Magic paste

Spread this mixture on to the sticky parts of the candle.  I usually let mine sit in the sink for about 10 minutes.

Magic paste

Once ten minutes is up, take a dry paper towel and wipe the mixture away from the candle.

No more stickiness


TA DA!

All the adhesive will be gone!

Now, in the event it is not, just put more paste on and let it sit another ten minutes.  Also, make sure you are always wiping the mixture away with a dry paper towel.  That helps a lot.

You can use this trick and magic paste on any type of adhesive to re use the bottle :)

I have them all over the house but here are some ideas!

In the bathroom

On the vanity

Use them everywhere

I even got more creative and put glitter letters on my jars to label them.  I hope you enjoyed this DIY and I would love to see what you make!!  The possibilities are endless!

Do you already have a way that you re-purpose your old candles?

Let us know in the comments below!

Have a great day!! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips