Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Ten Super Foods for Healthy Hair and Radiant Skin


Healthy hair and skin is something we have when we are young and then after years of swimming in chlorine pools and maybe even smoking, the damage takes its toll on us.  Here are some super foods that you can eat that help start the healing and prevention process from the inside.  You are what you eat!  I have been under a bit of stress lately and have had some breakouts, causing me to do a self check and evaluate what I need more of in my life (less stress is the obvious), starting with my diet.

I am no professional, by any means, but I thought I would compile all this good stuff for ya'll!   Plus, I want these things too and I try to strive for them daily.

Patience is a virtue I do not possess (ask the mister) and if you don't either, know that you cannot expect immediate results because you ate some nuts today.  Sorry, that ain't going to happen. :)  It will take longer to get healthier hair then skin but at least you will start seeing some results if you incorporate some of these items into your diet.  Most of these super foods you have heard of before and may have in the fridge and some may require a trip to Whole Foods.

1. Spinach-Yes, Popeye knew long ago that this was a super food.  And while you won't get his huge muscles from eating it out of a can, it is packed with Iron, Vitamin C, Vitamin E and beta carotene. If you get the bagged salads, get the 50/50 mix and you won't even know it's there. :)

2. Almonds-I am not a huge nut person (notice I did not say nutty person) but I find these are delicious roasted or with apple slices (think almond butter).  Almonds are made with the good stuff for your heart (flavonoids) and Vitamin E.

3. Bell Peppers-HERE is a super easy recipe I did that will get you your peppers.  Peppers are packed with Vitamin C (promoting collagen production for healthy skin and hair).

4. Sweet Potatoes-Growing up, I did not like these babies.  But now I love a good sweet potato mash! You can substitute carrots if you're not a spud eater.  They have more beta carotene in them, which once ingested turns into Vitamin A which is needed for glowing skin.  Bye, bye dry skin and hair.

5. Salmon-Another skin smoother (among many other benefits), rich in Omega 3 fatty acids.  Not a fish person, get these into your diet with a handful of walnuts or add some canola or soybean oil to your salad dressing.

6. Avocados-Mmmmmmm, faaaaats :) Healthy, fatty acids for shiny hair. I eat these so many ways. A great way to start the day is with some eggs (B-12), avocados and tomatoes(Vitamin C,A,K).  Plus not only can you eat these, but why don't you make a mask with it if you have left overs? I mean, who really puts it in the fridge with the pit? :) Mash it up and add some honey and slather it on your face for at least 15 minutes.

7. Beans-Here comes the protein (also iron and zinc), which our hair and skin needs.  Think lentils,kidney, cannellini.Beans, beans the magical fruit......if you don't do beans, get your chicken and turkey in.

8. Low Fat Dairy-Whether it's from a cow or an almond (I made the switch a while back), get your calcium in! No thanks, osteoporosis.

9. Whole Grains-There are many ways to get this in your diet. Whole grain bread, cereals, oats, brown rice have Biotin and Vitamin B and Zinc to help brittle hair.

10. Fruits-An apple a day does more than keep the doctor away.  Pineapples (skin emollient), bananas (Potassium, Vitamin A,C,E), and Kiwi (antioxidants,Vitamins C,E) are also great to add to your diet!

And there ya go.  A great handy cheat sheet for you.  My 34th birthday is in a few days and I have been trying my hardest to eat right and get more toned.  This morning was a great day for me as the scale was two pounds less than my goal weight!  I checked it twice to be sure!  So not only will these items be great for your hair and skin, but they will also keep your tummy slimmer, which is an added benefit to not taking them in supplement form.

Anyone have any tips to share or recipes to help incorporate these into your daily routine?

Let us know in the comments below!

Have a great day!






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips