Thursday, July 3, 2014

Sausage & Peppers Done Easy

I like to consider myself somewhat of a foodie.  I am always trying intricate fancy meals and like to impress the family with over the top desserts.  But, just like any housewife, there are days that I want to take the simple route.  The route that requires little to no effort and minimal clean up.

I am so blessed to have a husband who loves to cook as much as I do.  He will always try something new I make and is always helping me come up with new menu ideas!  My wonderful father was not a fan of cooking, so just knowing how my mom struggled to put food on the table that we would all eat, further affirms how lucky I am!

Today I want to show you how to make my take on a sausage and peppers dish. :) I hope you enjoy!


What You Need for Sausage and Peppers recipe (this will serve 4 people, so adjust accordingly):

  • 2 Packages of Beef Smoked Sausage
  • One Sweet Onion
  • One Bag of Mini Sweet Peppers
  • Garlic 
  • Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt & Pepper
First, we want to cut up the peppers into strips.  Now the peppers of course come with seeds and stems so we wanna take care of that.  Cut the stems off, or the hats of the peppers, as I refer to them.


Then I like to take a spoon with a flat end on it and scrape the seeds out in one swoop around the inside of the pepper.  Easy Peasy!!


Cut the strips, lengthwise, making sure they are all the same size so they all cook at the same time.



Next, you want to cut the onion in the same size strips as the peppers.


Now, put about two tablespoons of olive oil in your pan.  I like to use my pan that has high sides as even though all the peppers and onions will cook down, going into the pan it is a lot of food.


Most recipes, I will tell you to put the oil in and heat it up for a few minutes.  For this one, unless you want a serious char on your peppers, you don't have to.  I just throw all the peppers and onions in after the oil has been spread all over the pan.


Now, you are going to want to season these babies!!  I don't measure the salt and pepper but I sprinkle generously all over the veggies, coating them all really well.  Probably about two tablespoons of each......


Next I take the garlic (it can be minced or chopped, whatever you have) and put two tablespoons in the pot as well.


Personally, I don't like putting it directly on the bottom of the pan in this dish as I don't want it to burn.  Burnt garlic has a taste that will haunt you forever!

Now the heavy artillery.  We love spice in this house! It can easily be removed though, if you don't :)


Again, get liberal with the CRP, probably at least another two tablespoons.  Stir everything really good.

Let the veggies get all relaxed in the pan and cook.  You can slice up the sausage now.  The sausage is already cooked so we are just going to heat it through.


Toss the sausagers (no it's not a typo :) ) in the pan and mix everything really good again.


Let everything cook on medium heat, stirring every few minutes, for about 10 minutes and you're done!!   Plus I love that this is not a greasy meal.  My waistline does not like grease :)

Serve with some crusty french bread and butter and you have a delicious, easy, one pot meal!



What are your favorite one pot meals?

What are your favorite summer meals?

Let me know in the comments below!!

Have a great day!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this dish! I usually make it with spicy Italian sausage though! :) Tastes delicious with pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A household favorite, that's for sure :) We eat it that way too sometimes and love it :) Thanks for the comment, Cathy!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips