Tuesday, July 15, 2014

UPDATE-Homemade Colored Chocolate Molds Tutorial



This weekend I had a 5th birthday party for my girlfriends daughter, my favorite little cowgirl :)

I wanted to make something cute for the kiddos to both enjoy and take pictures with.

I thought this was a super simple craft to share with ya'll that doesn't require much baking!  My sister in law will love that :)

So here is my run down on making homemade chocolate molds!



You will need:


  • A bag of white chocolate candy melts (they have pre colored bags but if you want to make your own colors, use white)
  • Candy/Chocolate molds
  • Sucker/candy sticks
  • Candy/Chocolate food coloring


That's it!!

First, you want to melt the chocolate.  I normally use a double boiler but I was in a time crunch so I used the microwave.  You will want to dump the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt it on 30 second increments.  Be careful as not to burn the chocolate, there is nothing worse!  Burnt popcorn comes a close second, though :)


After each 30 seconds, stir them to melt them evenly.



Then, depending on the colors you selected, separate the chocolate into bowls.  You will add the coloring next.


I did about 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon, depending on the intensity you want.





Stir thoroughly.  Now is the time to be quick as the chocolate will start to harden the longer you mess with it!  If that happens, pop it back in for a few more seconds in the microwave.

Place your sticks into the slots on the candy molds.  You want them about half way through the middle of your shape as you want them to support the hardened chocolate.




Now using a spoon, drop some chocolate into the molds.  What's nice, is the chocolate will fill in right away. Add more if you feel the need.


If you have put too much in, take the back of a butter knife and just wipe it away.  Also, if you don't do that step, when the chocolate hardens, it easily breaks off if there are some stragglers :)

Put them in the fridge for 30 minutes and done!  They pop out of the molds super easy :)






How adorable is she?!?!?! They were a hit :)

PS-I did try adding some regular food coloring into some of the chocolate and it actually turned it into icing, so be careful!!

Have you worked with molds before?

Where is your favorite place to buy them?

Let me know in the comments below?

Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips